Sunday, September 7, 2014

Weekend Read: Poison Study

I am a full time student and I ref soccer and study during the weekends. That means that I don't have a lot of time to read. This, in turn, leads me to being very selective about the books that I choose during the school year. Poison Study is a book I recommend to everyone with a limited amount of free time.

I love this book. I have reread Poison Study so many times, I have to get myself a new copy. The front page is falling off. The glossy, plastic surface on the cover is pealing away. I do try not to destroy my books, but sometimes I just happen to love them a little bit too much.

Anyhooo, Poison Study is a historical-fantasy with a slight dystopian feel. The country, where the main character grows up, is a country run by a dictator called The Commander. But, most of the people in this country agree with how the country is run and not many people want a life different to what they have now. The military supplies all of their basic needs. No one is without work, homeless or starving. BUT,but(!), there is one catch. If you have magic you are killed, or assassinated. No exceptions.

In Poison Study you follow a young woman named Yelena. Fate has dealt her a rather nasty hand, and through harsh trails she ends up a prisoner, charged with murder, (that she did commit) in The Commander's dungeons. In Ixia, the country ruled by The Commander, if you forfeit yourself, you admit to your crimes, you are offered the Hangman's Noose or a chance to become the food-taster for The Commander. Yelena chooses the latter.

That is all that I am going to say about this book. It is a wonderful, easy read, with just enough action to keep it exciting, just enough historical-fantasy to set a great world and just enough romance to keep you on edge of your seat. One of the pluses of this book is that there is romance but the book isn't centered around it. And if you don't like graphic, raunchy scenes, have no fear, sex is only hinted at in this book.

Happy reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment