Friday, August 29, 2014

Weekend Read: Cinder

Ok, so I may be a little late jumping on to this band wagon, but hey(!), better late than never. So...the first time I picked up Cinder I put it straight back down again. What the heck? I was thinking. Why rewrite Cinderella? Now don't get me wrong I love retellings. "Retelling" is one of my favorite genres, if you can call retellings a genre. What I was thinking was why rewrite a story that doesn't really have all that much to work with. But now my views and opinions have completely changed.

Anyone hesitating to pick this book up, don't. I regret putting off diving into this world since I finished the book a couple of days ago. And this advice goes with all books. Of course if you do fins yourself struggling to read a book and you aren't enjoying it at all. Put the book down. We have a limited amount of time on this planet. Spend it reading books that you won't regret picking up. And Cinder is one of those books...if you love, sci-fi, futuristic fantasy retellings with a slight dystopian feel. It took me a couple of chapters to real get into this book but after that I finished the book in less than two days.

Cinder is a retelling of Cinderella for of you who didn't catch on to that (pssst the title and the cover). Now Cinder isn't a regular human being. She is a cyborg, part human part "robot". She lives in the classical Cinderella scenario, with the evil stepmother and stepsister. Notice that I wrote sister not sisterS. She in fact gets along quite well with the younger stepsister. Now this world that Cinder lives in is plagued by, you guessed it, a plague. There is also a secondary race that is introduced into this version that come from a planet called Luna. I mustn't forget to mention that there is also a very interesting love interest.

And will end my Weekend Read suggestion with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment